8 Copywriting Rules for Successful Marketing Campaigns
Copywriting is critical to a successful marketing campaign.
Marketing is ALL about COMMUNICATION and copywriting is the art and science of strategically delivering words (written and spoken) to get people to take a desired action. Your ability to communicate effectively either through the written or spoken word is critical to your success. Luckily, copywriting DOES NOT have to be complicated and mysterious. If you focus on mastering these 8 simple rules you will develop the ability to create remarkably effective marketing!
Focus on improving your copywriting skills.
Here are some key important elements to follow here to quickly improve your copy. Good copy will make an impact on your audience.
So, to get started let’s define what copywriting means – copywriting is the art and science of strategically delivering words (written or spoken) that get people to take a desired action.
Should you write your own copy?
You can hire someone to do this for you, which is fantastic, but the downfall of that is copywriting is very expensive. Also you should realize this,y ou are the one person that knows your messsage the best and you absolutely need to gain clarity and to create that message yourself and be the best marketer for your business.
You will need to write copy all the time. You’ll have your emails, social media posts, the messages you send out to people, and video scripts that you write. You want to constantly communicate with your audience. Copywriting is part of your business so you really shouldn’t outsource something that is so essential to your business. You don’t have to be a master but you should understand the fundamentals of writing.
Copywriting can be Complex
Copywriting is a skill and art that takes years to master. There are many specific details, techniques, and concepts in the art of copywriting. But your business needs Sales..NOW! So you can’t wait to become a master at it, you have to understand the concept of copywriting NOW!
Focus on the Fundamentals of effective copywriting and you can achieve amazing results for your business. Copywriting is a skill that you must learn. It is all about communication and you must be able to communicate with your audience.
The 8 Rules for Copywriting
- Your copy must unfold step by step – You must take your prospect through a journey (process). This would be like leading your prospect by the hand through the whole journey
- Your copy must be reader centric – This means that the copy is not about your product or business but instead it must be centered around your reader or your prospect
- Begin at the end – What is the purpose of this piece of writing? Define the end goal of your email ad, social post, blog post, or article. What will be the Call to Action at the end.
- Keep your copy simple and easy to read. Your copy should be clear, concise, and instantly understood by the reader without effort. Also write at a grade level of 4-7 which is between 9-14 years old. Don’t laugh, I guarantee you that if you write for this grade level your copy will be more effective and you will make more money.
- Sell with BENEFITS – support with FEATURES – All of your selling is done with the benefits and we support that with the features of your product or service.
- Be Unpredictable – Capture the attention of your audience – Change the conversation. What story/angle has your prospect NOT heard? Say something opposite to what they are used to hearing. Create curiosity with your prospects. If your copy is predictable why should they go further.
- Connect emotionally with your prospect – Always focus on them, their problems, pains, and challenges as well as their desires, dreams, and goals. If you focus on them it will hit your prospect at their emotional core. Be a storyteller paint a visual picture for your reader/prospect.
- Use logic to support your message – Initially we connect at the emotional level and now we will use logic to support your message. Remember that people buy on emotions but justify that purchase with logic.
“People will do anything for those who encourage their dreams, justify their failures, allay their fears, confirm their suspicions, and help them throw rocks at their enemies.” ~Blair Warren~
If you understand how powerful this quote above is, what this concept is to persuade others to do what we want them to do, how do you apply this to marketing?
If you look at any successful marketing campaign you will see that they have done at least one of the things in the quote and the most successful campaigns have done more than one or all. So in your marketing and writing think how you can bring some of this persuasion element to it. Pay attention now to all of the emails, sales pages, blog posts, and articles that you see and become a full time student of copywriting.