Apps are slowly becoming an integral part of our lives.
We use them for everything – accessing the Internet, keeping up with our appointments, communicating with each other, handling our business, and more.
We use our gadgets to check out cool new stores in the vicinity, hunt for discounts, and get recommendations on where to eat, and find transportation.
The list just goes on and on.
While I might have some reservations about the direction we’re heading with all of this, it would be foolish to deny that apps are making our lives a lot easier.
They are also making some people very, very rich.
Robert Nay made an app called Bubble Ball when he was only 14. This was back in 2000. Bubble Ball is a challenging physics puzzle game with 72 levels – this only goes to show that Robert is an extremely bright kid. However, he didn’t know a thing about programming at the time. It took him three months to learn everything he needed to know to launch the app. It made over $2 million in the first two weeks!
Remember, Robert was only 14.
Now, you might be quick to dismiss this as a fluke but what if I told you there are dozens of cases like his? People with no skill earning millions by thinking of and developing apps? People like Chad Mureta who made millions by selling several app companies even though he had no experience; or Nick D’Aloisio who was only 18 when he sold his app Summly to Yahoo! for $30 million?
The point is, they all had ideas and were willing to act on them.
Surely, you have ideas, too?
Consider making use of them.
Why is Creating and Selling Apps a Great Way to Make Money Online?
Simply put, apps are in high demand, especially the ones that allow people to shave some time off their work or make some processes easier to manage.
That said, your app doesn’t have to be a business app. If you’re good at games you can improve on existing ones or create a totally new game. Simple games are addictive and if you have the right idea you can make a truckload of money.
Ways to Make Money Online by Creating and Selling Apps
Making money from apps can be done in several ways:
- Develop and sell your app on online app marketplaces
- Offer a paid service through your app
- Develop apps, build a company, then sell it
Who Can Make Money Online By Selling Apps
As you, can see from the success stories here, you don’t have to be a programmer to develop an app. Actually, you do but you don’t have to be one to think of an app and make money from it.
You can make money by making and selling apps if:
- You’re already an employed programmer and can improve on existing apps
- You have a knack for thinking of games
- You spot an opening in the market that your idea can fill
Where to Start
This is going to depend on whether or not you will be creating your own app using various app builders or hiring a developer for your app.
However, app developer or not, there are certain steps you should follow – below, substitute hiring a developer with your own work if that is what you plan to do:
- STEP 1 – Learn the process – this isn’t mandatory as you will most likely hire a developer to develop your app but if you know the process it’s going to be easier to communicate and you will know the steps involved in building an app.
- STEP 2 – Explore the market – get a feel for what sells by checking Apple’s App Store and reviewing bestsellers.
- STEP 3 – Connect your ideas to what is selling – if there’s a similar app to yours online already, that’s a good thing – it shows that there’s a market for it.
- STEP 4 – Draw your map – draw it on a piece of paper – that’s the easiest way to show someone what you want done and how.
- STEP 5 – Register as a developer – don’t let the word developer scare you – you just need to set up an account on App Store or Google Store that’s going to sell your app.
- STEP 6 – Find a programmer – check online freelance marketplaces such as UpWork and find someone with the skillset you need.
- STEP 7 – Share your idea – make sure you sign an NDA first – you won’t earn anything if you’re idea is stolen.
- STEP 8 – Coding the app – work on it by yourself or with a developer.
- STEP 9 – Test your app and put it on the market – after you’re sure that all the kinks have been ironed out, it’s time to offer you app on the market.
- STEP 10 – Market your app – market your app inside the marketplace and outside it, on social media networks.
1. Monetizing Your App
2. Creating and Selling Apps
3. App Development Courses
Do you have an idea that you think is going to change the world of apps? Or are you more practical and simply want to improve on something? Your current lack of skills shouldn’t stop you – your ideas count, skill is something that you will easily pick up or contract out!
How To Create And Sell Apps