Graphic design, well, design in general, is the most versatile occupation I can think of.
There are literally hundreds of things you can do if you’re good with Adobe and have a visual mind – everything from website design, designs for prints (coffee mugs, t-shirts, smartphone cases, you name it), infographic design… you get the gist of it. A good designer can even design clothes if they have an affinity for that and don’t mind learning new tricks.
And there is a healthy need for designers out there – good designers who know their work or specialize in a particular niche.
Of course, everyone dabbles a bit in design. There’s a slew of so-called designers out there offering their services but, at the end of the day, a designer who doesn’t know his work can do a lot of damage. Also, they can’t on making a living from it.
However, if you’re good at design and invest your time in learning, the potential for making a buck online is great indeed!
Why is Selling Your Designs Online a Great Way to Make Money?
There are several reasons why you should consider design if you’re looking for a way to cash in on your creativity:
- Low start-up costs (you don’t need the best equipment at all, that’s a myth)
- Potential for a steady stream of work if you’re good
- The luxury of working from home at your own hours
- Ability to sell things that you’ve worked on as a hobby
Ways to Sell Your Designs Online
Primarily, you can sell your design services on freelance online marketplaces such as UpWork or Freelancer. Working closely with a client on their ideas is the best way to ensure that you’re actually going to get paid for your work.
However, that’s not the only option.
- You can sell a license for your design on places such as Envato
- You can make various products with your designs (cards, smartphone cases, etc.) yourself and sell them on Etsy.
- You can partner up with a manufacturer and sell them your designs that they can use for their products.
Who Can Sell Designs Online?
Well, judging by the fact that there are so many so-called-designers out there, anyone can do it. However, if you want to make a dent and be sure that you can make a living from your designs, you need to approach this professionally.
The best way to do it is to specialize. Here are a couple of ideas:
- Icons and objects
- Presentation templates
- Web elements
- Designs for games
- App elements
Where to Start
Well, how you start is going to depend on what particular type of design you’re doing. However, there are several steps that will be similar in all cases.
- STEP 1 – Do your research – find out where the money is and what types of design sell well.
- STEP 2 – Find the market – research marketplaces that sell the designs you plan on doing –compare them and pick the ones that allow you to license out your work to different clients.
- STEP 3 – Invest in education – the game is constantly changing so it’s a good idea to stay on top of things and learn about designs that sell.
- STEP 4 – Invest in equipment – a solid computer and a few software licenses are pretty much all you are going to need.
- STEP 5 – Offer some of your designs for free – lure in potential buyers with a promise of few free designs – it gets people to your pages and brings in eyeballs you need.
- STEP 6 – Customer service – if you’re selling physical designs make sure you’re always available to your customers to answer questions or handle issues.
- STEP 7 – Market your work – market through social media sites such as Facebook and Pinterest. Doing your own blog will also be helpful.
1. Online Design Courses
2. Online Marketplaces
So, all you artsy visual people out there, what is stopping you from cashing in on your passion? It can’t be the startup costs or the market – the first is non-exsistent and the second is vast! Good designers and good designs are in high demand so sit down, get to work, and start making money doing what you love!
How To Sell Your Design