Vincent van Gogh died when he was only 37.
During his lifetime he created more than 2100 pieces of artwork. Around 900 of them were oil painting he has painted during the last two years of his life.
Today, a van Gogh painting is easily worth around $100 million, depending on the piece – his ‘Starry Night’, which hangs in the Museum of Modern Art in New York, could easily sell for three times that amount.
However, he only sold 1 painting while he was alive.
One…and he sold it cheaply.
A lot has changed since Vincent was alive. Artists (painters especially) were a struggling breed back then.
They are a struggling breed today, too. I still have to meet an artist that’s able to make a living selling the art that they create for themselves exclusively, or by painting things they want to paint. Usually, they work (and get paid) on an order-to-order basis.
Still, this doesn’t mean that you should put up all your work on your walls. There are numerous ways to sell your paintings to the world and the Internet is making it easier than ever.
Who Can Sell Paintings Online?
Impressionists, expressionists, surrealists, abstract painters…and so on, you get the idea.
There is no faking here. You really have to be good at what you do if you want to make a living doing it; there is no way around it.
To sell your paintings online and earn money you will have to be:
- A schooled painter
- An exceptionally talented one
- Extremely lucky
Why Should You Sell Your Paintings Online
If you want me to be brutally frank with you, selling online demonstrates that you have a bit of sense.
Because that’s the best way to showcase your art and make sure it’s seen by hundreds of people. Exhibitions are good and well but how many people will wander into a gallery and actually see your work? Those people might be more inclined to buy selling is a high-numbers game – the more eyeballs you get on your work, the more you sell.
Also, having a couple of sales under your belt will make it easier for you to be featured in a brick-and-mortar gallery.
You also have to consider your location. Not every artist has a gallery close by where they can show their work – doing it online might be your only viable option.
Ways to Sell Your Paintings Online
There are a lot of ways to sell your paintings online – certainly more than you have selling them offline where your only choices are auctions, galleries, and a brick and mortar store.
Here are just some of those ways:
- WAY 1 – Online galleries – online galleries will get your work in front of thousands of people. Consider Saatchi Art or Artfinder as they have largest artist commissions.
- WAY 2 – Crowdfunding sites – you can give away your work to your backers who fund your schooling or expeditions. This is also a great way to connect with potential collectors. Consider sites such as IndieGoGo and KickStarter.
- WAY 3 – Online marketplaces – you can set up an account on Etsy or Folksy and sell your art there.
- WAY 4 – Create your own site – building sites using WordPress and you can showcase whatever you want on your own site.
- WAY 5 – Print on demand sites – these sites lean heavily towards graphic and illustrations but you will also find artists selling stuff here. The most popular ones are designbyhumans and society6.
1. Online Galeries
2. Crowdfunding Sites
3. Online Marketplaces
4. Print on Demand Sites
Cutting off your ear and going mad might give a starving artist a chance to become popular some day…let’s say, a 100 years from now. However, I’m sure you don’t want to go that road, right? In that case, keep your wit about and start selling your artwork as soon as possible – the marketplaces I mention are a great way to start!
How To Sell Your Paintings